Diploma in Interior Decorating
Humber College’s Interior Decorating diploma program will complement your creative and technical expertise with essential business training in how to run your own enterprise and manage your own projects. You will learn how to understand specifications and how to communicate design ideas effectively to real clients.
|Full-time Duration:||2 years|
|Starting in:||September 2020|
|Tuition Fee:||CAD 8,056 per semester|
|Location:||North Campus (Toronto, Canada)|
Humber College’s Interior Decorating diploma program combines essential creative and practical elements with insights into current design trends.
- Cultivate your creative abilities by exploring and ideating clients’ needs and passions to transform their living/work space
- Use the principles and elements of design to formulate original concepts and apply them in 2d and 3d residential design solutions
- Learn how to develop, articulate and document your designs to create unique spatial concepts for residential environments as an interior decorator
- Implement a versatile combination of presentation skills to generate solutions through hand and computer drafting, craftsmanship, sketching, hand and digital rendering, and graphic skills and layouts
- Discover unique residential trends by creating and transforming spaces in various sectors of design focusing on the residential environments with opportunities in kitchen / bath, DYI’s, staging, real clients and specialty design challenges
- Hone your artistic talent and develop your professional skills to launch your career
You will learn from practising professional experts in our design studios. Studio classes provide hands-on experience and training using market-specific materials and trends. Guest speakers, trade shows, field trips and international adventure opportunities await you. Using the latest technology, you will explore the world of design and discover furniture, finishes, lighting, millwork, textiles, objects d’art and essential elements that evolve into unique and extraordinary living spaces.
- Interior Decorating Studio
- Design Fundamentals
- Colour Theory and Application
- Sketching Interiors
- Drafting Interiors
- Technical Reading and Writing Skills
Get started today!
Interior decorators work with clients and consult on programming through to installation procurement phases. Components selection encompasses concepts, style, colour schemes, space plan layouts, elevations perspective sketches, lighting, furniture, millwork and architectural detailing, floor finishes, wall finishes, kitchen and bathroom design, accessories, and many more design details.
Interior decorators can provide conceptual sketches, computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), generated working and detail drawings, and other design-related essentials to their clients including product specification, as well as cost estimates.
Decorators can also choose from other career avenues including design consultants, home staging, event planning, décor magazines, television work and much more.
Humber graduates have gone on to become interior decorating magazine editors-in-chief, featured magazine interior decorators, TV personalities with their own show, guest TV decorators, newspaper feature article leaders, interior decorating business owners, event planners, managers of decorating retail stores, design consultants both “domestic and international” and buyers to name but a few.
Graduates also work with:
- a variety of residential design firms
- staging experts for real estate
- television/set design
- high end furniture companies as design consultants and product launchers
- event planning firms
- kitchen and bath design centres
- print magazines and online media
- interior decorating and design firms
- new home developers and model home décor
- retail and wholesale showrooms
- detailing experts in millwork companies
- lighting consultants
- specialist designers in carpet, tile and upholstery
- media including magazines, blogs, tweets and other social media