Home » Programs » Diploma » Diploma in Social Service Worker

Diploma in Social Service Worker

Humber College’s Social Service Worker diploma program prepares you to work with people in a professional helping role. Approaching your education from an individual and a community perspective, you will learn how to empower and advocate for people to meet their goals and to access needed services and programs.

Quick Facts

Full-time Duration: 2 years
Starting in: September 2020
Tuition Fee: CAD 7,496 per semester
Location: Lakeshore Campus (Toronto, Canada)

Skilled, committed faculty with real-life work experience in the human services field teach with a focus on promoting equity and addressing barriers people face on the basis of race, class, disabilities, gender or sexual orientation.

In the Humber College’s Social Service Worker diploma program, you will study topics such as human behaviour and development; interpersonal, interviewing and counselling skills; family dynamics; legislation and social policy; and how to work effectively with groups and communities. You will develop the skills needed to intervene in crisis situations and to work with a broad range of people including those experiencing poverty, settlement challenges, domestic violence, mental health issues and substance abuse, post-traumatic stress, and other challenging life events.

Courses include:

  • Foundations of Social Issues
  • Human Growth and Behaviour
  • Orientation to Human Services
  • Interpersonal and Group Skills
  • Professional Practice
  • Counselling Skills
  • College Reading and Writing Skills

Get started today!


Prepare for work in women’s shelters, community centres, refugee centres, youth employment agencies, hostels, drop-in centres for people seeking shelter, other social assistance agencies and group homes and in agencies in the justice system. You will deal with a range of clients including individuals with psychiatric issues, developmental delays and disabilities.

Gain skills needed to become a:

  • Case manager
  • Intake worker
  • Residential case worker
  • Community/family support worker
  • Mental health or outreach worker

Learn more